How to complete your marathon
- Find a safe place to run.
- Walk or run 25 miles, read 13 books and perform 13 do rights (good deeds) between September 1st and November 28th.
Look at the schedule below for help in planning your runs.
- Come to the Seattle Center on Saturday, November 29, 2014 to run the final 1.2 miles of your Marathon! Don't forget to bring your trackers!
Training tips for your marathon
- Wear running shoes or sneakers and socks. Proper footwear helps prevent foot problems.
- Run/walk with a friend. You can encourage each other that way. Talk while you run/walk, you can maintain the perfect pace that way.
- Stretch your legs before you run. Stretching helps prevent injuries. Hold each stretch for 20 seconds without bouncing up and down.
- Drink lots of water after you run and throughout the day. Water helps muscles do their work.
- Get plenty of sleep. Your muscles need lots of rest so you can keep running/walking every day.
- Eat a well-balanced diet including lots of protein and carbohydrates. Your body needs fuel to do its work!
A training schedule for your Marathon
Below is a training schedule with suggested distances or you may set up your own schedule. If you can only run or walk a little, keep trying. If you run or walk more than a mile per day, great! If you play a lot of soccer or other sports where you run a lot, this may be easy. Just remember to space your workouts so you are prepared to run or walk the final distance on Marathon Saturday! Early completion of the program is not recommended. The schedule leaves Saturdays and Sundays available for make up days or to give you a rest day during the week. It is important to keep track of your progress toward your goal. As you complete each mile, color or mark off each mile on the Run-O-Meter.
|Monday, Oct 27 – Sunday, Nov 2||1/2 mile/Weekday||5 miles total|
|Monday, Nov 3 – Sunday, Nov 9||1 mile/Weekday||10 miles total|
|Monday, Nov 10 – Sunday, Nov 16||1 mile/Weekday||15 miles total|
|Monday, Nov 17 – Sunday, Nov 23||1 mile/Weekday||20 miles total|
|Monday, Nov 24 – Friday, Nov 28||1 mile/Weekday||25 miles total|
|Race Day! Saturday, Nov 29||1.2 miles||26.2 miles total|