WHO WE ARE
The Seattle Marathon Association (SMA) is a non profit organization governed by a ten-member Board of Directors. It is proud of its commitment to providing a quality running event in the Pacific Northwest, providing our sponsors with maximum exposure in association with the event and making a positive social and economic impact on the city of Seattle. Using the Visitors and Convention Bureau Statistics, a conservative positive economic impact to the Seattle economy is five million dollars per year. With the current growth trend of the Seattle Marathon, the economic impact could double within three years.
To produce an annual Seattle Marathon event, the quality of which is a credit to our sponsors and the communities we serve. We encourage participation by runners, walkers and volunteers of all skill levels.
The Seattle Marathon began modestly in 1970 when a group of friends from the University of Washington decided to hold their own running event. 38 runners started the first annual event, with 31 of them completing the full 26.2 miles. From these modest beginnings the Seattle Marathon Family of Events has risen to become one of the largest and most influential mass-participation runs on the West Coast, being ranked by Runners World Magazine as one of the top 20 marathons in the United States. In 1999, a Seattle Kids Marathon was added, which allows children of all ages to run a "full marathon" one mile at a time. 357 children participated the first year, and the event has grown to 2,300 in 2012. Through the years, Seattle Marathon runners have donated their money to the marathon's designated charities.
The growth of the Seattle Marathon and its ancillary events has been impressive in recent years. There has been steady growth year after year, and we expect this trend to continue. More than 11,000 people participated in the marathon and half marathon running and walking events in 2012, and over 40,000 people passed through the Amica Insurance Seattle Marathon EXPO 2012 in the two days leading up to the main event on Sunday morning. The geographical reach of the Seattle Marathon continues to grow year after year as well, with all 50 states and many nations represented at the 2012 event. In 2008 a 5K Race was added on the Saturday morning before the marathon events. It has grown each year, with 2012 seeing more than 850 participants. In the Seattle Kids Marathon, an impressive 53 different schools were represented. The Kids event has gained the attention of physical education instructors throughout the metropolitan and surrounding areas, and several school districts have begun to include the program in their overall curriculum. Additionally, we have had other groups such as the Girl Scouts participate in the program, as well as elementary school children from Montana and Colorado (running in their home states, as part of the Seattle Kids Marathon program). In 2011, a summer 10K was added along with a kids fun run that brought in over 850 entrants in its first year. In 2012, the Seattle Marathon 10K was presented by Next 50 Seattle Center and coincided with Seattle Center's 50th birthday celebrations.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Seattle Marathon Association Board of Directors are all volunteers who generously give many hours and weekends to make our event the success it is.
- John Kokes, President & Finish Line Coordinator
- Dan Ledrick, VP/Secretary & Logistics/Results Coordinator
- Jeff Kimball, Treasurer & Goody Bag Coordinator
- Fran Underwood, Board Member & Ham Radio Coordinator
- Vic Owings, Board Member & Awards/Bus Tour Coordinator
- Jerry Seals, Board Member
- Gordon Smith, Board Member
Below are some of our many key Coordinators who generously give of their time to make our event the success it is.
- Boys & Girls Club, Asst. Water Station & Course Marshal
- Mary Elaine Bravos, Asst. Merchandise Coordinator
- Chief Seattle Club, Soup Coordinator
- Blake Davis, Asst. IT Coordinator
- Kenny Emerick, Asst. Goody Bag Coordinator
- Renatta Emerson, Expo Coordinator
- Ed Fredrick, Traffic Control/Half Marathon Lead Vehicle
- Elvia Fuentes, Asst. Merchandise Coordinator
- Mark Green, Finisher Shirt Co-Coordinator
- Geremy Heath, IT Coordinator
- James Heath, Storage Manager/Race Weekend Logistics
- Erin Houghtaling, Kids Coordinator
- Eric Larpenteur, Registration Coordinator, Accustat Inc.
- Chris Masoni, Asst Merchandise Coordinator
- Morgan McKenzie, Finisher Shirt Co-Coordinator
- Brian Oster, Course Logistics/Kids Marathon Assist
- Nancy Reeves, Information Booth Coordinator
- Delia Saldana, Adult & Kids Victory Recovery Coordinator/SMA Staff
- Gail Siani, Goody Bag Co-Coordinator
- Amber Snapp, 5k & Volunteer Coordinator
- John Thompson, Course Logistics/Lead Vehicle
Seattle Marathon Association Office Staff includes:
- Louise Long – Executive Director
- Delia Saldana – Executive Assistant
- Erin Houghtaling – Registration & Kids Marathon
- Amber Snapp – Volunteers & 5K Coordinator
- Elvia Fuentes – Office Assistant
- Renatta Emerson – Sponsor/Vendor Relations & Social Media
- Jae Gravley – Web & Online Registration
- Gerald McRobbie – Creative Director
- James Heath – Warehouse Manager
- Geremy Heath – IT Operations